Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Transformers Tuesday! - Generations Waspinator Review

Welcome to my first installment of Transformers Tuesday! Each Tuesday I will be reviewing a Transformers figure - some old and some new. In this case, it's the brand new (at least to me) Generations Waspinator!


As someone who grew up watching Beast Wars, finding this figure was a top priority for me. Unfortunatly I live in a small town in the midwest - not exactly a hot spot for new transformers releases. So nearly a month after most people got ahold of theirs, I finally found one at a Toys'R'Us last Sunday. I was ecstatic to finally find him, and I must say he didn't disappoint.


First a foremost, I want to highlight just how great the all around sculpt for this figure is. From the head all the way to the legs and feet, he looks absolutly perfect. Even the paint work that Hasbro put into this figure was very nice, the only place that was missing is a few details on his face. What really stands out though is the paint used on the Wasp's eyes, the perfect shade of metallic blue really makes them shine in his Wasp mode.


Another cool feature to him is that his wings flap up and down. There is a little tab on his back that when pushed makes them flap. It is a simple feature, but one that is surprisingly effective in my opinion.


He also comes with his weapon, as seen in the first photo here, that doubles as his stinger in Wasp mode. While it is a nice weapon, I do feel as if some paint would have greatly helped it out. As you can (barely) see in my photo, it is competely transluscent and just blends in to wherever you have him displayed. While this is just a minor issue, it is the one that I actually plan on fixing with just a bit of paint.


Lastly, the only real issue on this kit is his lower legs and feet. While they look great (that paint and scuplt is beautiful) the articulation is sorely lacking. The bend that you see in the picture above is literally all that he is capable of, and it doesn't help that his feet don't move side to side at all. This can make posing him a pretty big pain, especially when you want to get  him into a pose other than just standing straight up. While the leg movement is a significant disappointment in my opinion, it still doesn't make him not worth buying. For anyone that loves Beast Wars, or anyone that just wants a really nicely scuplted and painted Transformers figure, this guy is worth a buy.

My very nostalgia influenced rating? 4/5. Check out my full video review below.




No comments:

Post a Comment